Since the beginning of time, cats have been an integral part of everyday human life. They satisfy our need for love and companionship. Nowadays, people keep all kinds of domestic animals as pets. Recent statistics, however, indicate that the most common pets are cats, followed by dogs and small birds.
One major problem most cat owners have to cope with on a daily basis is shedding. Since most cats are covered in fur, it is not unusual for them to occasionally lose some of their body hair. Cats especially shed a lot, since it is their natural way of getting rid of excess hair. If left unattended, shedding can have significant consequences for pets and their owners. To reduce the inconveniences brought on by shedding, it is important to regularly groom your pet cat. But how do you know which is the best cat brush to reduce shedding? Well, we went out and researched our brain out to find the best deshedding tool for cats.
Best Overall: Dakpets Cat Brush For Small, Medium & Large Cats
This is one of the highly preferred cat brushes out there. The great number of positive reviews this product has is truly inspiring. And why not? Being the awesome brush that it is, it is perfect for all types of fur coats – from the shortest to the longest hair. With a 4 inch stainless steel comb and a durable and comfortable handle, this product will leave your cat’s fur silky smooth after grooming. Suitable for pets with either single or double fur coats, this brush will still be gentle on your cat’s skin, and provide you with subtle light thinning.
- Really nice and sturdy comb that feels strong. Has a great grip too.
- Great quality and versatile product. One brush will fit all.
- The manufacturer sends repetitive emails that may be irritating to some people.
- Little plastic cover for safe keeping the comb is a bit flimsy. There are some reports of it falling off.
Best Brush For Long Hair Cat: K9CONNECTION Grooming Brush
One of the best high-quality brushes on the market, is this an amazing cat brush. K9CONNECTION Grooming Brush is a great product for both cats and their caregivers. It is made with high grade stainless steel material. It is simple to use and can be operated with the simple press of a button. Also has a self-cleaning feature to make collecting excess and shedded fur easy. Soft bristles that gently remove dead or loose hair will also gently massage the cat’s undercoat, leaving it soft and feeling great. Best suited for cats with softer and thinner fur.
- It is backed with a 1-year guarantee. Rest assure you’re getting a quality product.
- Easy to use.
- Very fine bristles. Can be hard to groom thick hairs.
- When lots of shedding occurs, hairs have to be ejected more often because of fine bristles.
HappyDogz Shedding Brush For Cats
HappyDogz Shedding Brush is another great tool for every cat owner out there. With a guarantee to remove up to 95% of your cat’s hair, you only need minutes to groom your cat perfectly. The highly versatile brush is suitable for cats of different breeds and with different hair lengths. Especially good if you have several cats, each with a different fur coat.
Being a high-quality brush, it is backed up with a 10 year manufacturer guarantee, so you won’t be needing to spend extra money any time soon. This brush is preferred by veterinarians and professional groomers.
- It works perfectly to make your cat’s coat shiny and feeling healthy.
- It reduces dander and fur is easily collected from the comb.
- Bulky build – better used for medium sized pets.
- Removes mostly undercoat fur. There have been few reports about this brush not thinning very thick coats effectively.
Best Cat brush for Short Hair: The Pet Portal Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
This brush allows you to easily remove loose and dead hair off your cat by just a press of a button. Coming with self-cleaning ability, it’s very easy to remove hair that gets caught between the pins. Rounded tip edges are designed to protect the cat’s skin, ensuring that your furry friend doesn’t get scratched or injured during the combing process.
Also, besides removing dead hair from your cat’s fur, it also straightens it and prevents knots from forming.
- It is easy and comfortable to use.
- It is made with stainless steel pins and TPE and OPP material, to ensure maximum durability.
- Just in case you have a dog living with you as well, this brush can also be suitable for dog grooming. Get two for one!
- Even though this is a great product, has a bit of a cheap look and feel.
Best Budget: FURminator Short Hair deShedding Tool
Our top number one pick for best cat brush is definitely the FURminator Short Hair deShedding Tool. Even though it has a very solid build, it remains gentle during grooming providing a smooth and relaxing grooming experience. This brush, not like other products out there, comes in sizes. You can get either a small or large brush, for either a long or short haired feline. So even though one size may not fit all (in case you have more than one cat), you are bound to find a perfectly sized brush for your pet.
Featuring a super comfortable FURejector button, all you need is to press it lightly to remove hair that gets stuck in the comb. No mess, no pulling and yanking hairs out of the brush.
- Widely referred by many customers as being the ultimate grooming brush.
- Different sizes makes it easy for a custom fit for your cat.
- The self-cleaning mechanism makes it very easy to use.
- This product is quite pricy. Even though this is the best product out there, it still costs a lot more than many other products out there.
Thunderpaws Professional De-Shedding Tool
This premium quality tool will guarantee satisfaction for both cats and owners. Easily removing dead and loose hair, it still manages to feel gentle on your cat’s skin. This brush can be used for both long-haired and short-haired cats, and will be highly effective in reducing shedding.
Under proper care and use, Thunderpaws Professional De-Shedding Tool is highly durable as it is made with a stainless steel material will not corrode and rust like cheaper-make brushes. It also comes with a protective cover, to increase the brush’s life span. Used by many professional groomers and veterinarians.
- Good for both long and short hair.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty and a 90-day money back guarantee.
- Ergonimic handle design makes holding the brush very comfortable.
- Brush can be easily released for cleaning.
- Does not have a button for ejecting collected hair. This could be a nice feature with this great brush.
Paws N’ Purrs Pets Premium Grooming Brush
Unlike ordinary brushes which you have to remove hair from after grooming, this brush has a self-cleaning ability which makes hair removal much easier. It features durable dual stainless steel blades that help cat caregivers remove approximately 95% of the excess hair.
Paws N’ Purrs Pets Premium Grooming Brush can be used for all cats, regardless of hair length and hair type. The handle is ergonomically designed to provide as much comfort as possible when grooming.
- Highly durable brush that will last a long time.
- Super comfortable.
- Leaves your cat’s fur soft and shiny.
- Not always suited for cats with very gentle fur – not the softest brush out there.
- It is not among the cheapest cat brushes on the market.
Chirpy Pets Dog and Cat Brush for Shedding
Having made with 4-inch stainless steel, Chirpy Pets Dog and Cat Brush is not sharp hence remaining gentle to your cat during the grooming process. This cat brush removes most shedding fur, which will ensure that your furry companion remains free from any loose hair. The brush comes with a protective cover to make it last longer, but is backed up with a money back guarantee anyways, just in case. An ergonomic grip and perfect sizing makes this brush a great choice for all pet sizes.
- Some cat owners have found it essential in reducing the flakiness of the cat’s skin
- Will easily take on any tangled fur.
- It is ideal for thick hair, suitable for pets of all sizes.
- Be sure to brush gently, this brush can remove lots of hair if the stroke is too aggressive.
Pet Republique Slicker Brush
Occupying our number 9 position, Pet Republique Slicker Brush has an effortless self-cleaning mechanism to make grooming easier. All you need is to press and hold the cleaning button once you are done with grooming. This brush has fine and flexible wire bristles that help untangle knots, keeping your cat comfortable and healthy. The wires are capped with protective tips to prevent injuring your cat when grooming. If used on a regular basis, this brush will help reduce shedding.
- Wire bristles are gentle yet effective, and won’t hurt your feline’s skin.
- Large ergonomic handle ensures user comfort.
- Some complaints about the brush causing static electricity when used.
- It may not remove as much hair at once, compared to other brand brushes. Will require a few extra strokes.
MoJo’s Dog and Cat Brush For Shedding
Mojo’s Dog and Cat brush will get rid of up to 90% of dead and loose hair from your cat in a matter of 15 minutes. This means easier grooming, less hair around causing allergies, and you not chasing your cat around the house, trying to desperately comb it.
The 4-inch stainless steel comb is strong, allowing you easy grooming for years to come. This baby was meant to last.
- Unlike some cat brushes, this brush won’t easily break. Very sturdy build.
- Good fit that allows you to easily remove dead and loose hair even in the harder-to-get areas. Not like some of the bulkier brushes out there.
- Does not have the self-cleaning mechanism; you have to manually remove the fur from the brush.
- Can feel small in size. Best for small to medium sized pets. Large sized pet owners may prefer bulkier brushes.
What to look for when shopping for a cat brush for shedding
Since grooming is an everyday affair, it is important to invest in an ideal cat brush to minimize fur shedding.The best cat brushes are those that prevent tangles in the fur, thus reducing fur loss. Below is a cat grooming tool guide to help you find the right shedding brush for your cat.
Types of Cat Brushes
1. Slicker brush
Considered as one of the best grooming tools for Persian cats. A slicker brush is perhaps the most basic grooming brush for cats. It is suitable for all types of fur coats. If used correctly, a slicker brush removes knots and tangles from fur, leaving it smooth and shiny. It is highly recommended for cats that are heavy shedders. For best results, cat owners are advised to brush gently in the direction of fur growth.
2. Moulting comb
Cat moulting combs come in handy for long and fine-haired cats, as it has longer teeth than others. Regular use is recommended for best results. A moulting brush is mainly used to reduce tangling of the fur and detach moulting fur. Gently run the brush through the cat’s fur coat to minimize hair breakage.
3. Bristle cat brush
A bristle brush is one of the best cat brushes for short-haired cats. Its main purpose is to distribute the cat’s natural oil secretion throughout the fur, creating a natural shine. It also lessens shedding by smoothing the cat’s fur. In longer haired kitties, the bristle brush serves mainly as a finishing brush.
4. Rubber brush
If you own one of those cats that flee at the mere sight of a brush, then the rubber cat grooming brush is considered an ideal cat brush for most felines. It feels completely different on your cat’s fur, as compared to shedding brushes that come with metal teeth or bristles. A rubber brush is mainly used to massage the cat’s skin, while distributing it’s healthy oils for a smooth and shiny coat. It is also known to remove loose fur from shedding cats.
5. A pin brush
Here’s another great grooming product, The pin brushes mainly solve the problem of tangling, which often leads to excessive shedding. The pins easily move through the cat’s hair, removing knots and tangles that cause matting. It is especially effective for long and medium-haired cats.
6. Double sided brush
Due to its dual sides, this brush is ideal for all types of fur coats and could be considered as the best cat brush for long-haired cats. This dynamic brush also serves multiple purposes. On one side are pins that penetrate deep into the fur and remove tangles, thus reducing shedding. On the other side are bristles that smooth the fur leaving your cat looking healthy and neat.
Why use a cat brush?
Cats are natural self-groomers. Their ability to keep their fur coats clean and neat is second to none. However, they could still use a helping hand. A cat brush is an ideal grooming tool. Although most cats experience discomfort during brushing, the trick is to find a brush that’s comfortable and suits its fur type.
One of the main reasons why it is important to use a cat brush is to reduce hairballs. During self-grooming, cats ingest a large amount of loose fur. These are then expelled in the form of hairballs. The entire experience is extremely unpleasant for the cat, not to mention the health risks it comes with. To relieve your cat from having to go through all that, cat owners can use a cat brush on a day to day basis to remove loose fur from the cat’s coat.
How to get cats to stop shedding
Although shedding is a completely natural process, it can be controlled in order to prevent extreme hair loss. Some of the most effective ways of achieving this are:
Believe it or not, your cat’s fur coat is a reflection of what you feed him or her. The right diet can go a long way in improving the quality of a cat’s skin as well as prevent excessive shedding. Foods rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 are known to soften the cat’s skin and improve the quality of its fur.
Grooming is perhaps the most effective way of managing shedding. Bathe your cat regularly to remove loose fur and excess oils. Alternatively, use hygienic wipes to clean cats that are fussy around water. Regular brushing is also recommended.
Visit professional cat groomers
Sometimes shedding can get out of hand. If your own grooming methods are not effective in managing hair loss, it is important to make an appointment with a professional groomer. This is particularly important for cats with long and thick fur coats.
Excessive shedding can be a nuisance. When cats leave fur all over your clothes and furniture, it can be really exhausting to clean after them. More importantly, keeping a cat well groomed will result in better health. Because of this, it is important to take necessary steps to manage fur loss before it gets out of hand. Take matters into your own hands by visiting your local / online pet store and purchasing a quality cat brush.