It is often said that, “If the world were free of men, the world would be full of happy, fat women”. But alas, women are still weight conscious (for obvious reasons) and are known to follow anyone blindly, if they promise effective weight loss (even if one doesn’t need one). So here’s the solution, a list of superfoods for weight loss, that you can stuff up on, without any guilt. So if you are like me, perpetually hunger-struck, then here is a list of superfoods that you should gobble on, without worrying too much about your weight.
Top Superfoods for Weight Loss
You have many options to choose from even if you follow a vegetarian diet. All the following are really good if you wish for healthy weight loss, without any form of diet plans (starvation) nor any appetite suppressants.
- Something Fishy: Fish like the wild Alaskan Salmon, sablefish, sardines, anchovies, herring, mackerel, trout, and tuna are very rich in Omega-3 fats that are very effective in controlling weight gain. Two to three seafood servings per week should lower your cholesterol as well, as these fish are high in monounsaturated fats. They provide added health benefits to lower the risks of heart diseases, arthritis, and memory loss. I for one, am all for this particular superfood, yummy!
- Berry Berry Fruity: Fruits like apples, grapefruits, blueberries, cranberries, pears, kiwifruits, peaches, plums, prunes, cherries, and oranges contain phytonutrient obesity fighters. Not only are they rich in fiber (aids quick digestion) but they also contain anti-inflammatory antioxidants. So rich are they in anti-oxidants, that just adding half a grapefruit to your breakfast increases your metabolism for the whole day. Fruits like acai berry, goji berries, mangosteen, and noni, do wonders for your weight loss agenda and even further your overall health. Avocados, olives and coconuts contain anti-adiposity fats and are also good for the weight watchers.
- Hot and Spicy Superfoods: Hot and spicy superfoods, like chili peppers, cayenne and chili powder are high calorie burners. They also contain anti-inflammatory antioxidants, fiber and other phytonutrient obesity fighters. So if you like hot and spicy Asian curries, don’t gorge on them, because they are usually too oily and that is counterproductive to your weight loss plan.
- Nutty Snackers: Although high in calories, nuts and seeds are good to snack on as they contain anti-inflammatory fats. Sesame seeds (Tahini sesame butter), flaxseed, walnuts, cashew nuts, filberts, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds are good snack substitutes for chips and other fast foods. In fact, munch on flaxseed, as it has many other health benefits, other than just weight loss.
- Low Fat Dairy Products: Low fat yogurt, low fat kefir and low fat probiotic milk are good options to get essential nutrients while still exercising weight gain control. Probiotic low fat foods contain nutraceutical obesity fighters and are thus very good for weight control. Just make sure the yogurt you’re eating, is actually low fat.
- Beans and Whole Grains: Include Bengal gram, chickpeas, quinoa, hummus, kidney beans, navy beans, black beans and pinto beans in your diet plan. Oats, barley and buckwheat are also good weight watchers. The high fiber content of legumes will really help you with increasing your digestion metabolism, which in turn helps with weight loss. Consuming whole grains makes you feel full faster and thus gives the body more time to dispose the bad fats in the body.
- Vegetable Delights: If you’re watching your weight, make it a point that you do not compromise on essential nutrients. Vegetables like spinach, kale, collard, sweet potatoes, chard, turnip, pumpkin, mustard, beet, etc. will do that very well for you. Even Brussels sprouts, broccoli, bell peppers, eggplant (brinjal), cabbage, lettuce, blue-green algae, and spirulina contain good amounts of anti-oxidants that will help your cause. Herbs like parsley, mint, rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano are good for overall health as well as weight maintenance.
Apart from this list, there are some other foods that you should include in your diet plan. These superfoods to be included are:
- Green Tea
- Sunflower Seeds
- Raw Sauerkraut
- Kombucha (Chinese medicinal, herbal tea)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric, Cinnamon, etc.
The superfoods listed in this article are not only good for weight loss, but are also good in maintaining overall health, boosting digestive health, lowering cholesterol levels, and controlling blood pressure. If you’re worried about your weight gain (which all of us are sometimes, even if the gain is all in our heads), do include these in your daily diet. Good luck with your weight loss. Don’t forget to exercise if you wish to trim the inches too.