For many women, handbags are simply vessels for wallet, phone and keys. But for the female executive, a handbag can also signal status, influence and taste.
For many women, handbags are simply vessels for wallet, phone, lipstick and keys. But for the female executive, a handbag can also signal status, influence and taste. There was a time when the words CEO and fashionista seemed incompatible.
Fashionista a term reserved for celebrities and models. But with powerful, highly-accomplished and fashionable women like Michelle Obama, Sophia Amoruso, Aliza Licht and Sheryl Sandberg at centre stage, it’s clear there’s been a delightful shift in power dressing.
Take Marissa Mayer for example. The president and CEO of Yahoo sits front row at shows during New York fashion week.
In 2011, she was included on Vanity Fair’s Best Dressed Poll, among the likes of Kate Middleton and Tilda Swinton. Her love of the latest must-have Proenza Schouler handbags is also widely known.
The power handbag has become part of an essential mix for the power woman almost as important as venture capital or an invitation to dinner from Oprah. I am not at the stage in my career where I can splurge on super high-end designer handbags. I still have a budget to consider.
However, there are a few bags on my wishlist that I could probably pull off adding to my own growing collection of power woman arsenal.
(1) I am just loving this signature lucent prism shopper from Bao Bao Issey Miyake. With a metallic-gold finish, this power bag is constructed from triangular PVC panels and has a black mesh lining that moulds and shapes to whatever is inside. I can’t think of a better way to amp up an all-black outfit or power suit.
(2) I am also loving this more conservative medium-sized tote bag from Rebecca Minkoff. For taking to work or even church, this might be just what I need for more classic, sophisticated outfits. Nobody does power bags quite like Rebecca Minkoff.
(3) I can keep my goods covered in this drop lock winged tote from Coach. Front flap closure, a removable shoulder strap, two internal treasure pockets and made from vegan leather – this wine coloured power tote is absolutely fabulous!
(4) A stylish choice for work or toting around town, the “Jet Set” tote from MICHAEL Michael Kors features an extra roomy interior and convertible carrying option. The sleek black leather, makes it easy to pair with tailored work looks or casual weekend separates.
(5) A lovely travel tote crafted of luxurious calfskin leather with a rolled shoulder strap, expansive suede sides and a large full frontal flap which secures with a squared brass press lock, the Celine Trapeze bag is the epitome of sophistication. The top opens to a spacious leather interior with room for plenty of daily essentials – even your iPad could fit snugly inside.