While no one can give you a firm remodel cost estimate without seeing your exact situation, it is possible to hazard a few ballpark figures for many of the most desired projects.
House additions range from pre-fabricated sunrooms shipped to you by freight delivery on up to full-scale stick-built house additions that substantially add to your home’s resale value.
- Build Full-Scale Addition: $80 to $135 per square foot
- Enclosed Porch: $6,500 to $16,000
- Sunroom (9′ by 15′): $12,000 (not including installation)
- Sunroom (24′ by 15′): $20,000 (not including installation)
- Drywall Ceiling Over Plaster: $2.50 to $4.00 per square foot
The lowly basement at first appears to be a remodel financial slam-dunk. Ten grand? Maybe twenty? But when you factor in the need to deal with complexities like electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems, along with the sheer magnitude of all of that drywall and flooring, plus sticky legalities for turning the place into a rental unit, you end up with a project that is basically an entire house addition.
- Convert Basement To Legal Rental Unit: $50,000 to $70,000
- Finish Basement With Basement Finishing System: $50,000
- Finish Basement With Contractor: $70,000
- DIY Basement Finishing: $15,000 and up
Bathroom remodels are the ultimate DIY project, especially if dealing with a second bathroom.
- Surface Bathroom Remodel: $1,000 to $14,000
- Half Bathroom: $4,500 to $6,000
- Full Bathroom: $18,000
- Bathroom Addition (built onto the side of your house): $42,000
Estimates are for work performed by an electrician. Doing your own electrical work will substantially lower the estimate, as electrical materials (with the exception of copper wire) are low cost and the labor is free.
- Increase service to 200 amps: $900 to $1,500
- Run separate electrical circuits: $250 to $400 per circuit
- Install connectors on outlets (of aluminum wired homes): $25 to $30 per connection/$2,600 to $3,900 (whole house)
- Regrade Lawn: $700 to $2,000
- New Gutters and Downspouts: $3.50 to $4.50 per linear foot
Floor Work and Installation
While you may want to hire professionals to install solid or engineered wood flooring or ceramic tile, laminate and plank or tile vinyl flooring is very easy to self-install.
- Sand and Finish Wood Floors: $2.50 to 4.30 per square foot
- Install Ceramic Tile Floor: $16 to 27 per square foot
- Install Vinyl Tile Floor: $4.00 to $6 per square foot
- Install Wall To Wall Carpet: $5 to $8 per square foot
- Build Single Car Garage: $8,000 to $12,500
- Build Double Car Garage: $10,000 to $14,000
Heating and Air Conditioning
All estimates are for professional work, not do-it-yourself.
- Replace warm air furnace: $2,500 to $4,800
- Replace electric heat pump: $3,200 to $4,600
- Replace central air conditioning system (electric): $2,500 to $4,000
- Replace central air conditioning system (gas): $3,600 to $4,500
- Install humidifier: $500 to $750
- Install electrostatic air cleaner: $600 to $850
- Replace hot water boiler: $3,500 to $4,500
- Install attic ventilation: $350 to $550
- Insulate attic/basement $1.75 to $3.50: per square foot
Full-Scale Kitchen Remodel
- Professional Level Remodel: $20,122
- DIY Remodel: $12,058
- Basic Surface-Level Remodel: $5,000
Unless indicated, all estimates below are for licensed plumbers.
- (40-gallon capacity): $500 to $750
- (40-gallon capacity): $400 to $650
- Install new well: $4,000 to $6,000
- Install new septic system: $4,000 to $6,000
- Install sump pump: $500 to $600
- Install French drain and sump pump: $3,000 to $4,500
- DIY-Install Kitchen Faucet: $50
- DIY Connect Two Copper Pipes Using SharkBite Connector: $5
- Asphalt / fiberglass shingles- Install over existing shingles: $2 to $3.20 per square foot
- Remove existing shingles and install new: $2.75 to 4.75 per square foot
Replacement and Storm Windows
- Install storm windows: $70 to $145 each
- Replace existing windows: $350 to $700 each